The 2012 ICSW Seafarers Welfare Awards ceremony was a glittering event befitting the excellence displayed by the awards’ recipients.
The awards were presented in the General Assembly of the International Maritime Organisation’s Headquarters in London, followed by a reception in the delegates’ lounge.
The ICSW Seafarers Welfare Awards highlight the need for welfare services to seafarers and celebrates the individuals and organisations who excell in delivering services of outstanding quality. In presentations to the IMO, both the Chair of ICMA, Douglas B. Stevenson, and the Secretary General of the IMO, Koji Sekimizu, pointed out the need for advocacy for seafarers’ welfare to be provided beyond the minimum standards set out in the MLC 2006, and applauded the recognition given to those providers of welfare who have achieved this goal. It is hoped that these winners will inspire others to follow suit.
ICMA centres and personnel were among those recipients singled out by being awarded and shortlisted.
ICMA values the commitment and efforts of its members’ personnel to serve seafarers, especially so in times like these when resources are diminishing. ICMA’s ability to provide the services envisaged by Title 4, MLC2006, and to excel in doing so, is recognised and appreciated. Congratulations to the winners. You inspire us all!
The full list of winners of the 2012 ICSW Seafarers Welfare Awards:
- Shipping Company of the Year: Shell Shipping
- Port of the Year: Port of Kandla, India
- Seafarer Centre of the Year: Seafarers’ House, Port Everglades, USA
- Drop-In Centre of the Year: International Drop-In Centre for Seafarers, Keppel Terminal, Port of Singapore
- Welfare Personality of the Year: Fr Giacomo Martino, Apostleship of the Sea, Italy and Rev Denis Claughton, Flying Angel Club, Fremantle, Australia